In the past 20 months, the world or most of it; has seen, witnessed, experienced the ravage, savage and damage caused by a common enemy – the Covid-19 coronavirus. Mostly everyone has in one way or another been impacted by this virus. I said mostly everyone, not everyone. There were those who were in the right places or industries at the right time. They made money, some made obscene amounts. That is ok… I guess.

At the height of the pandemic, from what we hear and gather from various media reports (I don’t know if the information in these reports were verified); hospitals were overloaded with patients. Yet they were understaffed. News was floating around that medical personnel were instructed to not focus on those they believe were not going to recover, to let them go (gentler way of stating the obvious). I don’t know what the numbers were, if there were any.

The point I am getting at is when people are very ill, they depend on someone else to make the right decisions for them. All their lives they have been independent, when they become too sick; they have to make these adjustments. Now, due to the severity of the illness they have, they may not be able to speak. But, I believe, they are fully aware and know what is going on.

Immediate families or extended family members are the ones who usually take care of these ill people. They agree to take on the responsibility – a caring and noble gesture. They see to everything that needs to be done, right down to daily care. On top of that, they have their own jobs and families to take care of.

Over time, it can become a strain on these family caregivers. The person or persons in their care that are dependent on them, become a burden. The decisions the caretakers make, may be compromised. For example:

An elderly man is going for a medical procedure in relation with his prostrate health issue. This person, in his 80s; has a weak heart, diabetes and other health issues. The hospital has informed his family that after the procedure; it may lead to another medical procedure.

This second procedure is necessary for his health position to improve. The risk here is that after this second procedure, he may become brain dead or slip into a vegetative state.

The question here is: Should he do the second procedure?

I think he should. Even if he has a 1% chance of recovering to a normal life. Yes, There is a 99% chance he may become even a bigger “burden” if he does not recover. A decision has to be made for this second approval after that first procedure. That decision is usually a family member. A tough decision but it has to made.

If they decide “yes” for the second procedure; the person has 1% or more of a chance of surviving and recovering. That person deserves that right.

Decisions to make things easier for the caregiver should be the last alternative.

The odds of becoming a vegetable is high. But at least they tried all options available to them..

Compared with if they make a decision not to do the second procedure, he could soon die.

I think people should not be made to feel that they are a burden to others.

I am in no way, judging anyone. I understand that each person is different. Each caregiver, bless their hearts for even volunteering to look after the sickly people who are in need; have immediate family and work priorities; too.

When faced with a decision between a hard rock and the deep blue sea; pray for guidance in making the right decision.

Dedicated to the voiceless

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s